Manage incoming email according to rules (Email Rules Engine)
The email rules engine compares the properties of incoming email against criteria and performs the rule's action when there is a match.
What is the difference between Email Management Rules and Email Routing Rules?
Email Management Rules are the successor of Email Routing Rules. In Bold360, you can only create Email Management Rules, which let you define additional Criteria and Actions on top of regular Email Routing Rule definitions. If you have previously created Email Routing Rules, those are listed separately for you on the page. If you never had Email Routing Rules, then you see only a list of Email Management Rules.
You can still use your Email Routing Rules, but you cannot create new ones; you can only edit and convert those to Email Management Rules, which is highly recommended. Once converted, these rules cannot be edited in the BoldChat desktop client. Bold360 prioritizes Email Management Rules over Email Routing Rules.
You can export your Email Management Rules to a JSON file. Similarly, you can add new Email Management Rules by importing those from JSON files.
Create an email folder if you haven't done so already:
- At admin.bold360.com, go to .
- Hover your mouse over the Email folder and click the Create folder () icon.
- Name your folder.
Create or edit an Email Rule, as follows:
- At admin.bold360.com, click .
- On the Routing Rules for Email page, select an existing rule or click Create New.
Criteria tab, name the rule.
Each rule should have a unique name for easy identification.
Select one or more criteria.
Tip: To enter multiple values in a field, type a string and press Enter.
Multiple selected criteria within a group are evaluated according to OR condition logic, while selected criteria across groups are evaluated according to AND condition logic.
- Anywhere Contains. This uses OR logic when looking for matches in any "Contains" field.
- Subject Contains
- Body Contains
- User's Email Address Contains
- Destination Email Address contains
- Has Attachments
- Email Account
- Email Type
- Optionally, select Apply rule to each email in thread to specify whether the rule should be applied to every outgoing email in a thread or only to the first one.
Actions tab, choose how to route items when
criteria are met:
- Folder, to send the item to a specific folder
- Department, to make the item available to members of a specific department
Actions tab, assign attributes to an item when
criteria are met:
- Custom Field 1 or 2
Optionally, on the Actions tab under Reply
with Canned Message, you can define an automatic reply when an
email is received from a specific email address.
Note: In Bold360, you can only create Email Management Rules, which let you define additional Criteria and Actions on top of regular Email Routing Rule definitions.
- Save the rule.
Continue to create rules and arrange them in the order they should be evaluated
(Move Up, Move Down).
Important: Rules are evaluated in the order they appear in the rules list. In addition, Bold360 prioritizes Email Management Rules over Email Routing Rules.